Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

When You Read This, You Will Know I wrote it for You

To the terrific person I wrote this for, I'm glad you have learned to let your heart come out to play, even though it wasn't with me.




Won’t you let your heart come out to play?
I don’t know the words,
I don’t know the tricks,
I haven’t got the keys,
to open that door.
Something jammed it tight.
The lock is rusty and full of crud.
I try the only key I’ve got,
insert love, hope and a prayer.
The door won’t open;
what’s really in there?

I don’t give up.
I’ll never quit,
you mean too much;
I can’t let it sit.
I know it’s hard.
I know you’ll fight.
I also know I’ll get in
because I know I’m right.

The pain is real,
the memory sharp.

Taking another look I think I see,
I can’t open the door.
It’s not up to me.
The knob’s on your side
and the lock is too.
If it’s ever to be opened,
it must be by you.

Won’t you please
let your heart come out to play?
The bad men are gone,
it’s safe,
you’re okay.
I wouldn’t lie,
There are dangers too.
Living inside keeps them away;
so does it keep love from coming to you.

There’s a well in your heart,
or maybe a dam.
The well is deep
and the rope too short.
The water at the bottom
is stagnating and still.
The dam is thick;
The walls are hard,
But it can’t hold on.
The water is filling it to the brim.
It’s open the gates
or learn to swim.
If it breaks, the rush will be great,
out with all the love
will come all the fear,
all the hate.
Open the gates,
ease the pressure behind,
let out a little,
it’ll be easier next time.

I didn’t put this hurt on you.
I can’t take it away as I’d like to do.

Won’t you let it come out to play?
I promise to be gentle and kind.
I’ll treat you well,
And soon you will find
being alive is not living hell.
I want to know you,
Please let me in.
If we’re to be friends,
it’s got to begin.

I think I am risking as much as you,
Afraid of hurt,
what else can I do?
I’ve tried it your way,
locking it up.
It causes more pain.
I almost gave up.
My heart was dying,
and taking me with.
I needed to change or just give in.
The dam broke open
and flooded my life.
The valley is gone,
a lake in its place.
The waters are choppy,
there’s spray on my face,
here it’s deep,
there it’s cold,
over here warm and safe,
it all depends on where you are in the lake.
I’m free now to float,
letting everything flow.
My body is light,
I let everything go.
To feel is to live,
to dance and sing.
I can’t go back.
It would hurt,
it would sting.

Won’t you please
let your heart come out and play?
I’ve said all I can,
no more can I say.
Please open the door,
or die all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment